spacer.png, 0 kB
The History of the Village Print E-mail
Article Index
The History of the Village
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4





The recovery of the village started in the 1970’s when a great number of young people stayed in the village. During the last decades the village went through an unusual construction of residences, which are used either as homes or as country houses or even as guest houses. The registered high quality vintage wine Messenikolas Black opens new perspectives to the development of the village today.

Public buildings constructed in the post war period are:

1) The stone building that houses the Primary School.

2) The building at the top of village that houses the High School (Gymnasium).

3) The three-story edifice that houses the municipal guesthouse, the Cultural Center – Library and the restaurant cum cafeteria premises on the ground floor (courtesy of the Athens Messenikolitans Club).

4) The outdoor recreation center and the installations for the Wine Festival venue, set in idyllic surroundings.

5) The two-story modern building for the Town Hall and the Country Surgery.

6) The three-story edifice housing the Vineyard and Wine Museum.

Right in the middle of the village, surrounded by cobbled little piazzas and century old plane trees, dominates the largest and most imposing stone church of the whole district, built in 1903 – 1905, dedicated to the Assumption of Mother of God.

After the abolition of the Nevropolis Municipality in 1914, Messenikolas still remained the center of the villages in the wider area, as it continued to be the seat of several services. There used to be the so called Scholarcheion (primary cum secondary educational institute) from 1889 until 1929, when it was renamed Hemigymnasium (Junior High School) and in 1938 Five Grade Civic School. 

Until 1974 there also used to be a country court. Today the village hosts a number of Services, such as the Notary and Land Registry Office, the Post Office and the Post Savings Bank, Police Station, Country Surgery, Forestry Bureau and Veterinary Clinic, the Board for the Development of the Plastira Lake Villages – that was until 1994 – the Water Supply Board for the villages of the Municipality, and the Local Land Reclamation Organization.

In the last Municipal Reformation, the so called Kapodistrias Scheme, the village claimed the seat of the Plastiras Municipality, but the Decentralization Administration of the Home Office assigned the seat to nearby Morfovouni. Non the less, today Messenikolas is undoubtedly the most lively village in the Plastiras Municipality, demonstrating a remarkable economic activity, based mainly on viticulture and the production of the famous wines of the village.

spacer.png, 0 kB

© 2007 | Developed and Hosted by PlusHost Solutions | Supported by