spacer.png, 0 kB

Right in the middle of the village, surrounded by cobbled little piazzas and century old plane trees, dominates the largest and most imposing stone church of the whole district, built in 1903 – 1905, dedicated to the Assumption of Mother of God.

Heading down to east through a steep, narrow cobbled alley from the main village square, the visitor can reach the location Vrysses (Springs). At the side of the cobbled square, and shaded by immense plane trees, the visitor can find six spouts gushing out without surcease gallons of water from subterranean springs. This water is cool in summer and mild in winter. In the olden days these springs used to supply the whole village with fresh, potable water.

Taking another short descent further to the east, one can visit the small, country chapel of Saint Nikolaos, surrounded by lush, green fruit and vegetable orchards.

Outside the village and on the road to Karditsa, there is the idyllic location, called Vassardanis Vryssi, where the visitor can refresh at a spring there, and in summer buy from outdoor vendors fruit of the season, such as cherries, green figs, grapes and other fruit.

Above the spring, there is a specially landscaped terrain amidst the deep green forest, the venue of the Messenikolas Wine Festival, taking place annually in the week before 15 August, where the wine flows plenty and free of charge. The visitor can also enjoy a steak or a cup of coffee at the grill restaurant cum café existing there.

Setting out from this place and plodding up the steep acclivity following a path, the hiker comes out to green clearing, where he finds two country chapels – Saint Demetrius and the Holy Virgin – in which one can admire the interesting frescoes dating back to 1647, painted by a monk named Samuel. Between the two chapels there is the sports center of the village with a green football stadium and basket and volleyball terrains. The visitor is however rewarded with a breath catching view of the Thessalian plain, the eye lavishing in all the villages of the plain, including Karditsa to the east and Trikala to the north. Further on one can see the imposing mountains of Olympus, Ossa and Pelion. In the foreground and to the north Messenikolas sprawls on the steep mountainside.

Proceeding to the west of the Holy Virgin Chapel, following an uphill country road through tall chestnut and acorn trees, the wayfarer reaches “Diasselo”, a high, narrow pass between two mountains. This is a saddle, from which one can enjoy the astounding view of the Agrafa range and Plastiras Lake, on one side, and the aforementioned vast Plain of Thessaly, on the other.

Diasselo can also be reached through another country road, starting off from the village center and passing through the location Karvouni Spring. On the way we can come to the location of Mnemata (graves) and the narrow Lin ravine. This narrow gorge accommodated the passage to the Thessalian plain of various invaders, including the Roman Legions of Pompey before he fought with Caesar at Farsala. (See also The History of the Village).

From Diasselo the hiker can walk on to the direction of the Lake passing through many beautiful places, which are ideal for picnicking, angling or shooting (when that is allowed, of course). This route can also be made by car. There is also a lane for bikers starting from Diasselo and ending up at Tsardaki, an enchanting place with cafés and restaurants. Near Tsardaki, there is the famous Byzantine Corona Monastery, founded around 1100 B.C. The walls of the church are ornate with interesting frescoes. You can go back to the village picking up the Karditsa – Agrinion highway, a road of astonishing natural beauty, and a technological feat of the 1920’s.

Other worth visiting sites are the karvouni Spring, the Gymnasium, the Primary School and Kryorema, a spring in the depth of a gorge, accessible on foot through a cobbled country path. Lastly, The Wine and Vineyard Museum will shortly be inaugurated, where the visitor will be initiated in the techniques of making wine and tsipouro.

spacer.png, 0 kB

© 2007 | Developed and Hosted by PlusHost Solutions | Supported by